Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The "C" Word

Last week Canadians celebrated National Co-op Week and International Credit Union Day (Oct 21). MSCU is also hosting our Fall Member Events over the next few weeks (come on out!) and all of these community activities have led me to think more about my struggle with “ME” versus “WE.”

The Anabaptist community has generally been pretty good at talking about the “WE.”  In our churches and organizations, there’s lots of talk about the “C” word – community. I’ve always felt blessed to be part of a strongly identified Mennonite community. It seems like I can show up to any Mennonite church or event and have some connection with at least half a dozen people.

With Mennonites I don’t know, I have often played the Mennonite Game, which includes listing each other’s parents, relatives, church, friends etc. until a common link is found. I’ve played the Mennonite Game in some pretty remote places: a village in Swaziland; at a concert hall in Germany; and on the Bruce Trail. This has instilled in me the feeling that I’m part of a broad community that is committed to building a world full of God’s love and peace.

It has also reinforced that by doing things together, pooling our resources, and building a common vision, we can achieve more than trying to do things as individuals.

Even with this knowledge, I sometimes find it difficult to engage with community in my daily life. It can be easier to spend time and money on “ME”. As long as I check my Facebook and show up to church, I’m still connected to the community. And in most cases, this seems to be a socially acceptable practice.

I’m happy that I’m invested (both figuratively and literally) in a faith community, yet I have this feeling that I could invest even more in community; that there could be less “ME” and more “WE”.

What do you think? I’d love to hear your thoughts and suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment