Monday, December 20, 2010

More with Less

Imagine if we lived the way our grandparents' did...if we just bought the basics and made things from scratch? More health... less preservatives. More product... less packaging. More self-sustaining... less dependent consumption. More ... with Less.

Recently, my mum and I made a double batch of homemade Corn Chips for the first time (see pg 310 of the "More-with-Less" cookbook).  They are made of good, whole foods, much more cost effective than buying said snacks, easy to make, and a rewarding activity on a snowy afternoon.  More with less.

The More-with-Less cookbook, commissioned by MCC and originally published in1976, is comprised of delicious and nutritious recipes and has morsels of sustainable food wisdom scattered throughout. It has sold over 850,000 copies.  The compiler of the cookbook, Doris Janzen Longacre, also authored a book entitled "Living More with Less" which has been found on many a bookshelf from our parents and grandparents generations.  Check out the recent 30th anniversary edition.  

Imagine if we lived more with less...

3 comments:

  1. I learned to can a few years ago and really enjoy making my own salsa, relish and pickled beets. Even better if you know the farmer you are buying the produce from (or grow your own) Will have to try the corn chips and see how they work with my salsa - thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm. homemade chips and salsa. Sounds amazing.

    I have been making my own yogurt. It is actually super easy and costs about 1/3 the price of buying yogurt. Tastes better in my opinion, too. Though I am not sure if it actually tastes better, or whether I just think it does cause I made it! There really is something special in being able to make your own food from scratch. (Bread is another favorite of mine.)

    Thanks Rebecca and Sherri. Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried the chips with salsa yet but they are actually a very good stand-alone item. :)

    ReplyDelete