Thursday, August 26, 2010

IVEP: bringing the world to your home...




I have a really good job.

I say this not because I get paid a lot (though I am very happy with my pay). I say this because I have the opportunity to learn from and grow through my work with MCC.

"Who cares," you might ask? I am not sure...

So let me tell you instead about some of the work that I do, and how you might get involved. It is much more interesting.


I coordinate the International Volunteer Exchange Program (IVEP) for MCC in Ontario. It is a one year cultural exchange program that brings young adults from around the world to our communities. I set up host families and work placements, and spend time with the IVEPers as they process their experience and integrate into church and community life. It is a pretty sweet program that has been benefiting IVEPers and the communities they connect to for about 60 years. Yes, that's right. 60 years: the program is tried, tested, and true.

I like to think of it as a reciprocal program to SALT. SALT sends you around the world - IVEP brings young adults from around the world to you.

To get an idea of what IVEP looks like check out an article that was recently published in a local newspaper about the program.

Or don't, and keep reading to learn about how you might be apart of it...


There are 5 IVEPers from 4 continents (South America, Asia, Europe, and Africa) in Stouffville, Elmira, and Hamilton this year:
  • Know of anyone who might want to host? We need a host family in Hamilton for an IVEPer that is arriving Oct 10th (tell me)
  • Want to have an IVEPer meet with your youth group or share stories at your church? (just ask)
  • Want to have an IVEPer over for dinner? Or out for coffee? (let's do it)
  • Want to sign up as a prayer partner? (I can explain what that is about if you are interested)
  • Want to join one of our monthly events? (okay)
...I am always open to other ideas as well.

Let me know if you are interested.

~allan

allanrm@mennonitecc.on.ca

1 comment: