Thursday, September 9, 2010

MCC: Connecting the World Through Service

Ever heard the musical creations of Playing For Change?  Their motto is Connecting the World Through Music.  I like it.  A good motto and an interesting project.

"Playing for Change is a multimedia movement created to inspire, connect, and bring peace to the world through music...music has the power to break down boundaries and overcome distances between people."

I grew up in a family and in a community that sings a lot together.  And in my travels throughout the world, nothing has brought me closer to the communities that have hosted me more that music.  Music has an good way of bringing people together.

So does service.  If we play on the words of the "Playing for Change" motto we get a good one for MCC: Connecting the World Through Service.



Serving.  That is an important part of what MCC and the church is about: following Jesus example to think less about ourselves and more about others; to listen less to our own selfish desires and more to what God wants for us (or from us) ...and then doing something about it.  
For even Jesus "did not come to be served, but to serve..." (Mark 10:45).



Serving.  We do it for a variety of reasons, sometimes with a tinge of selfishness mixed in with our good intentions (mandatory 40 hours of service, anyone?). Either way, it is something that we should all be doing. 


There are lots of opportunities available.  If you are interested in serving with MCC, check out the living large section of this blog and bookmark this page from the MCC website where opportunities to serve longer term are updated about about every week.


MCC: Connecting the World Through Service.  Not a bad effort at a motto, but I like the long running Serving in the Name of Christ.  Gets to the roots of why we are serving in the first place: because Christ served; because often we love God through loving others.  And what better way to love others than to serve them.  



For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. (
Matthew 25:35-36)


No comments:

Post a Comment