Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cass Bangay on Enlace

Hi my name’s Cass.  I’m from Stouffville and I’ve been going to Community Mennonite Church when I can for the past 2 or 3 of years now. I’m currently a second year Peace and Conflict Studies student at the University of Waterloo.

A couple of years ago I got connected to MCC's Enlace program through a childhood friend.  I didn’t know anyone else going on the trip, but I had always wanted to pursue a career in international development and learn more about Latin America, so I thought this would be an amazing opportunity to do so.  Getting on that plane I had no idea what to expect, but I definitely came back seeing the world through new eyes. I made amazing friends who I’ve stayed in touch with, and had experiences I’ll never forget.

What I learned from my experience in Guatemala and El Salvador (and recently in New York at the MCC United Nations office seminar) was the incredible role that the Church plays in International development. In Guatemala the grass-roots sustainable income generating programs like fish farms and greenhouses in the rural villages seemed like they reflected the communities needs.  The MCC workers treated their work as if it was so much more than a simple job. They became members of the communities that they lived  in, and everyone seemed to truly respect the work that they were doing. Seeing that community approach to development work first hand, has helped me to shape my own understanding of peacemaking. It gave me a model to strive towards.

After experiencing these community relationships both with my team and those I met in Guatemala, I couldn't go back to living the same way I had. I started going to church to develop my faith and keep that global consciousness and those relationships alive. The church community is an inspiration to me because I really enjoy being around people who are genuinely interested in working to change the world.

[For more information about Enlace, a service and learning program for 16-19 years olds visit here.]

No comments:

Post a Comment