Thursday, February 17, 2011

Summerbridge


Summerbridge is a Canada-wide summer service program of Mennonite Central Committee. The program provides opportunity to bring together people of different cultural backgrounds and equip them to serve in their local church. MCC and local congregations support participants. Affiliation with a Mennonite or Brethren in Christ congregation is required.

Age:  17+
Length:  8 - 16 weeks
Location: your church and community

Application deadline is May 1 each year.

Contact Allan Reesor-McDowell or Cath Woolner if you are interested in the learning more.

*********************

Profile: Rebekah Hudson

Rebekah Hudson, from River of Life MB Church in Riverview, NB, is studying Peace and Conflict Studies at University of Waterloo.  She participated in MCC’s Summerbridge program in 2007.

arm:  How did you get involved with MCC?

Rebekah Hudson: Through volunteering at my church. The Atlantic representatives for MCC at the time, Tom and Judi, told my dad about Summerbridge and he encouraged me to apply. Other than the “To Remember is to Work for Peace” pins, Summerbridge was my first real introduction to MCC’s work around the world.

arm: Why did you participate in the Summerbridge program?

rh:  I wanted to serve my church and Summerbridge was a great way to do that as a full-time summer job.  I did Summerbridge in 2007 and 2008. I worked at my church in two main areas – media/graphic design and children’s ministry. My job was an expanded version of my volunteer work, plus some other responsibilities.  Most days I worked on the website, powerpoint and other media; did any administrative tasks that came up; and organized the weekly children’s programs for the summer when the regular volunteers took a break. This was a challenge because our church is very small - often half the people who attend are kids, and most of the others are parents who also volunteer! My work focused more on kids’ ministry in 2008.

arm: What was the highlight of your experience with Summerbridge?

rh:  The biggest highlight of my Summerbridge experience was our orientation in Winnipeg. All the participants from across Canada came to learn more about Mennonite Central Committee and get to know each other for a few days. We stayed at Canadian Mennonite University, toured the MCC headquarters, volunteered at a food bank depot, went to the North End and experienced the murals and musical culture of the city. This was where I learned about restorative justice, fair trade, conflict resolution strategies and MCC’s relief and development work for the first time. Learning about alternative ways to solve these major problems ignited my passion for peace and justice that led to my choice to pursue a degree in Peace and Conflict Studies at Waterloo a few years later. I also met some incredible people during my few days in Winnipeg. Although I haven’t kept in touch with everyone, I still think about and pray for them often.

arm:  How was Summerbridge part of your faith journey?

rh:  Summerbridge was also a major growing time for me spiritually. I still look back at the orientation as a very significant time, but I also learned a lot in my two summers of work. I had a lot of opportunities to learn patience. I also discovered that working to serve others often consists of everyday, monotonous tasks that must be done. Having my dad as my direct supervisor took some getting used to, but we both learned so much about working together in that time. I also learned a lot about how to work with children, plan events and recruit volunteers. These experiences helped me later in jobs at an office and a kids’ drop-in centre. Overall, Summerbridge was a major learning experience for me!

arm:  What are you hoping to do in the future?

rh:  I don’t know yet, but I’d like to experience life in a different country soon. Something that involves working with kids and young people for human rights would be amazing, but right now I’m open to wherever God brings me.  Summerbridge was an amazing experience that helped shape the direction my life is heading now. If you get a chance to participate in this program or any other MCC experience, I definitely recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment