Thursday, April 21, 2011

Has the environment lost its mojo?

Like my brother Allan RM, I've been watching this election unfold with keen interest. As I take it all in, I can't help but wonder,
What has happened to the environment?
It's no where in the political discourse. NO WHERE.

Since the recession, no one is talking about addressing climate change or protecting natural resources. Conversations about transitioning to a "green" economy have gone missing. Advocates for the rights of those impacted by climate change are basically non-existent. No one is talking about passing on a healthy environment to future generations.

And that annoys me. Big time.


Know what annoys me even more? The environment would be on the political radar IF young people had a stronger voice and voted en masse.

By and large, people under 35 rate the environment as a top political issue, right up there with the economy, tuition fees and health care. But if they don't vote, why would the political parties bother to respond to their demands?

Creation has never needed advocates for sustainability more than today. Will young people demand change today?

No comments:

Post a Comment